Rewild your child this Easter
Leave the iPad behind and rewild your child this Easter with a traditional, fun-filled family holiday. Think Famous Five meets Swallows and Amazons without sacrificing the luxuries of lashings of hot water and a comfy bed; marshmallows around a campfire, nature treasure hunts, den building and exhausted, happy children. Don’t forget the dog and pony can come too!
This year, use nature’s copious bounty to satisfy and develop the curious little minds of your mini explorers while they are staying in our holiday cottages.
Calling all explorers – your mini missions, should you choose to accept them:
- Build a shelter: head to Bowhill House for a magical day out set deep in the heart of the Scottish Borders beside winding glens, heathery hills and ancient royal forests. Here a selection of their Ranger-led activities will inspire any budding explorers in the making. From den building and pond dipping to woodland art and bush craft sessions, it’s time for a woodland adventure (as pictured in our banner image).
- Gather round a campfire: With your newfound skills, spend an evening around a crackling firepit in the garden, a perfect location to snuggle up for some atmospheric storytelling and marshmallow toasting. Looking for a family friendly cottage with a fire pit? Try Old Purves Hall, our Shepherd’s Huts, The Grieve’s House or South Lodge.
- Embark on a spring scavenger hunt: with exciting treasures to be found in every direction, liven up your next venture into the countryside with the excitement of a treasure hunt! Who will be first to find every item? The Woodland Trust have an excellent starting point for 3-5 year-old budding nature detectives.
- Win a sandcastle competition: the spectacular sandy beaches of Northumberland, the Scottish Borders and East Lothian are just waiting to be explored. While you’re on the beach, take the opportunity to perfect your stone skimming skills (if the water is calm) or try your hand at rock-pooling where you might discover some of the secrets left behind by the sea. Browse our coastal collection.
- Find a favourite stick: whether you use your stick as a wand at Alnwick Castle (home of Harry Potter's broomstick training scenes), find a stream and a bridge to play some very competitive rounds of Pooh Sticks or create masterful artistic sand drawings during your time at the beach, the right stick will see you through your whole holiday!
What to bring: your imagination and an adventurous spirit!
- Our holiday homes and cottages for families and children.
- C&C Tots, a curated selection of properties specifically equipped to meet the needs of babies and toddlers.
- More nifty ideas to keep tots to teens entertained during your stay.